Today’s Social Media Success Summit sessions were all about content marketing and presented by some excellent instructors: Joe Pulizzi, Lee Odden, and Todd Wheatland. Are you asking yourself, “what exactly is content marketing?” That’s okay! According to our old friend Wikipedia, it’s “any marketing that involves the creation and sharing of media and publishing content in order to acquire and retain customers.” I take that to mean that content marketing is pretty much all the work we do as social media marketers — and our medium of publication is on the social platforms.
With that said, let’s dive into the golden nuggets of content marketing knowledge dropped on us today:
- Know your core audience
- Understand your buyer’s journey:
- How does he or she discover your content?
- How does he or she consume it?
- How does he or she act upon it?
- Four types of content
- Curated – stats, quotes, tips, news lists
- Co-created – leveraging assistance from subject matter experts, employees, industry influences, customers, partners
- Evergreen – in-depth guides, how-to articles, tutorials, stats collections, FAQs
- Repurposed – blog posts, infographics, social shares
- SlideShare is owned by LinkedIn — I honestly did not know this
- SlideShare has analytics; check it out now while it’s all still free
- Connect your LinkedIn and SlideShare profiles
- SlideShare formatting: unless your content is an infographic, use the landscape/presentation format
- Check out Canva for visual content creation (again with the Canva!)
I’m looking forward to tomorrow’s sessions on Instagram. Being new to using Instagram for business, I need all the help I can get!